The Dorrance H. Hamilton Center for Culinary Enterprises: Frequently Asked Questions
If you cannot find an answer to your question, please contact us.
Q: What documents are required for CCE membership?
All members are required to submit:
- A current ServSafe Certificate (issued by the National Restaurant Association)
- Food Safety Certificate (issued by the City of Philadelphia)
- Certificate of Liability Insurance (all insurance certificates must list The Enterprise Center CDC, 4548 Market St. Philadelphia, PA 19139 as an additional insured).
Q: Where can I get ServSafe certified?
ServSafe certification is required for membership and to work out of the CCE. Prospective members will need to register for the course and pass the examination. See a list of ServSafe certification sites in Philadelphia.
Q: What is the difference between ServSafe Certification and Food Safety Certification?
ServSafe Certification is required by the National Restaurant Association. To become ServSafe certified you must take a course and pass an examination showing you understand food handling through proper preparation safely through the process of working in a commercial facility. ServSafe Certification generally costs around $180.
A Food Safety Certificate is required by the City of Philadelphia. There is a brief application, including proof of ServSafe Certification and a $30 application fee.
Both certificates are required for membership to the CCE.
Q: How do I schedule a tour of the CCE?
We encourage potential members and interested parties to take a tour of the CCE, as this gives them a chance to see the space and ask any questions they might have.
We offer tours every Wednesday at 2:30pm.
You can register for a tour online. You will receive an email notification within 48 hours confirming your scheduled tour time.
Q: How do I become a member of the CCE?
- Please review the membership application checklist. (PDF).
- Once you have reviewed the requirements and are collecting the necessary documents, fill out the online application. You will create a username and password. DO NOT LOSE YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD, as you will need it in the future. Once you have created your account, log in to your membership profile to upload your documents.
- Submit your complete application, including all required documents. You will be notified of pre-approval for membership within 48 hours and receive instructions to pay your yearly membership fee of $100. Once you have paid your yearly membership, you will be able to book time by the hour in the commercial kitchens.
Q: As a member, what is the process for reserving commercial kitchen space?
Once your membership has been approved, you can begin to reserve kitchen time. Log in using your username and password to access the online reservation system. You will see what spaces are available and can reserve the time you need. This is just the time you will physically be in the kitchen, the scullery will be available for you after your reserved time for additional clean-up. Learn more about rates for reserving the kitchens.
Q: What if I don’t know how to upload documents or use the online reservation system?
If you are having trouble uploading documents, using the CCE website, or just need a re-fresher on basic computer skills and software, The Enterprise Center is offering free computer classes every Monday morning from 9:30-11:30. If you are interested in attending computer classes, all you have to do is show up!
Classes are held at The Enterprise Center, 4548 Market St. Philadelphia PA 19139. We look forward to seeing you there!
The first 15 minutes of each class will be specifically focused on helping you learn how to use the CCE website which is a crucial tool both when becoming a member and later when using the online reservation system to book kitchen time. The rest of the class will cover basic skills in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel which will be useful knowledge as you work to expand your business.